Faculty of Surveying and Geomatics Engineering was established in 1954. Sometime after the formation of national mapping agency to train experts for surveying- related organizations, the surveying educational institute was established with the help of Plan and Budget Organization (PBO) of Iran. With increased civil and industrial development, demands for geographic data raised and the need for Surveying and mapping technicians increased. Thus, the above-mentioned institution altered to a “School of Surveying” in 1966. To meet the requirements of national mapping, the school of surveying engineering changed to faculty of surveying engineering in 1974. Since the beginning of this educational center, a few undergraduate courses in different branches were established in 1971. Until the glorious Islamic Revolution in 1979 more than 1,100 effective experts in various levels of education entered the labor market from Faculty of Surveying engineering.
After the Islamic revolution, the schools and educational centers in Tehran joined together as one of the departments in faculty of civil engineering at K.N. Toosi University of Technology. In 2002 with the efforts of faculty members in different fields of mapping, the surveying engineering department became officially independent from civil engineering faculty, and the faculty of Geodesy and Geomatics engineering was established.
This faculty as the first and the only Geomatics engineering faculty in Iran has a close relationship with industry. This faculty teaches specialist in undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in four different branches including: Geodesy, Geographic Information System (GIS), Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (RS). The number of students studying in BSc, MSc and Doctoral degrees are 170, 178 and 37 respectively. The number of academic staff excluding part-time lecturers are as follows: 4 full professors, 5 associate professors, 12 assistance professors and one instructor.